(Star Trek Magazine issue 121, p. 97) The actress was thankful for these appliances, thinking the latter was particularly remarkable. He knows it all, and was a great resource for me. This is our way. T'Pau attempted to transfer the katra from Archer, but due to Surak's resistance, could not do so. "Amok Time" is a terrific opening to the second season. "Amok Time" was the first aired episode in Season 2, but according to DVD Commentary, was actually filmed fifth. (ENT: "Awakening", "Kir'Shara"), T'Pau later became a high-ranking minister in the new Vulcan government. "We're ready. In The Lives of Dax short story "First Steps", Ambassador T'Pau travels to Trill to assist the Trill after the L'Dira attack the planet. In 2154, T'Pau was falsely accused by the Vulcan High Command of the bombing of the United Earth Embassy, which had killed many Humans including Admiral Maxwell … She filmed her scenes on Wednesday 11 December 1996 on Paramount Stage 16. The option of including T'Pau in the series nonetheless remained a viable one. A similar ceremonial mind meld can be seen at his Kolinahr ritual in, This is listed as one of the "Ten Essential Episodes" of TOS in the 2008 reference book "Star Trek 101" by Paula M. Block and, By bringing Spock to Vulcan, Kirk disobeys his orders to bring the Enterprise to Altair VI for a presidential inauguration. T'Pau is an intense, zealous, and ruthlessly logical woman. Next Stonn and T'Pring are shown observing from their viewpoint. Played by: [1], Shortly after being cast as T'Pol on Star Trek: Enterprise, actress Jolene Blalock revealed a fondness for the character of T'Pau. Amok Time at Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia Amok Time at the Internet Movie Database; Review information Edit. | Spock's parents do not appear at his marriage ceremony. In 2154, T'Pau was falsely accused by the Vulcan High Command of the bombing of the United Earth Embassy, which had killed many Humans including Admiral Maxwell Forrest. I think that was a big wake-up call for her. Your... unchecked emotions will, no doubt, prove distasteful. This is the only episode where the Enterprise is not, as is often expressed, "the only starship in the sector. (Cinefantastique, Vol. I first watched “Amok Time” with some friends relatively soon after my diagnosis. VulcanSyrrannites She was cast by Director Joseph Pevney. Futurama episode "Why Must I Be a Crustacean in Love?" T'Pau appears to have been assessing Spock's readiness to commence the ceremony. The second season rarely featured Lt. Sulu (. And Scott would say 'Okay, please do.'" Star Trek: The Original Series: Shore Leave, Star Trek Original Series: StuOz Top 40 Episodes. 1:02. Shortly after co-creating Enterprise with Berman, Braga mused, "We could still find out T'Pol is related (to T'Pau). This is the Vulcan heart. (I Am Spock, hardback ed., p. 67) Originally from Vienna, Lovsky played the character with a strong Viennese accent. The 254 year old Vulcan officiates over a ritualistic duel between USS Excalibur crew members Burgoyne 172 and Dr. Selar, over the right to parenthood of their child. Her later statement that Spock was deep in the plak-tow (blood fever) stage may have been confirmed by the mind meld. The introduction of the character on the original series influenced the portrayal of Vulcans on Enterprise, including how Blalock played T'Pol. 27, No. Review link; Published: June 29, 2013 SF Debris synopsis Edit. ", When Kirk informs Spock that the Enterprise has to divert to Altair he quotes one of Finagle's Laws - "Any home port the ship makes will be somebody else's, not mine." | It was McCoy who said this, in. about Spock. "Star Trek: The Original Series" Amok Time (TV Episode 1967) cast and crew credits, including actors, actresses, directors, writers and more. In the age of the Cold War, the introduction of Chekhov as a character was an attempt to suggest that glasnost existed in the future. When T'Pring makes her challenge, the wedding party begins to discuss what's going on, all in Vulcan, until T'Pau shuts them up. because it was more like a shag haircut. In the simulation, T'Pau played kal-toh against Socrates as The Doctor conducted his interviews with the other historical figures. This is the only episode in the entire series to be set on the planet Vulcan. T'Pau was instrumental in helping Archer and T'Pol return to the High Command with the artifact, which contained the original writings of Surak. "It was discussed as a possibility," remembered Executive Producer Rick Berman. Because she's exactly who I was thinking of. The problem is that when you spend this much time with the same characters, you want to know more about them; you've gotta have at least an illusion of a consistent backstory, even if it's not a persistent one. 11/12, p. 97) Not written into this first draft script was T'Pau's involvement in justifying Kirk's recent diversion to Vulcan. (I Am Spock, hardback ed., pp. "What's funny is when I called in to meet the producers for this, T'Pau was who I was modeling after, but I didn't realize that she was the actual character I would be playing," Zediker offered. In the throes of his Pon Farr mating period, Spock must return to Vulcan … (I Am Spock, hardback ed., pp. [TOS] Season 2, Episode 1 (Netflix: S2 E1): Amok Time. 14:57. It's got a great hook, solid acting all around, and some terrific twists. "She's the one I remember most from ST:TOS, and after I was hired I thought, 'Thank God my instincts were right on.' Spock discovers he didn't kill Captain Kirk after all and shows emotion. When Saavik suggests that Nogura contact T'Pau for further information, he seems disinclined to do so, and Spock wryly reflects that T'Pau is perhaps the one being in the entire galaxy capable of intimidating the famously tough Nogura. "No, you traverse vast wastelands based on false information. Directed by Joseph Pevney. At the 50th anniversary "Star Trek" convention in Las Vegas in August 2016, fans voted this the fourth best episode of the "Star Trek" franchise. Written by science fiction author Theodore Sturgeon, scored by Gerald Fried, and directed by Joseph Pevney, it first aired on September 15, 1967. However, in the novel Vulcan's Heart, T'Pau is present at Ambassador Spock and Saavik's wedding in 2329 – which, as a nod to her apparent death in Spock's World, comes as quite a surprise to McCoy. “Amok Time” Written by Theodore Sturgeon Directed by Joseph Pevney Season 2, Episode 5 Production episode 60334 Original air date: September 15, 1967 Stardate: 3372.7 Captain’s lo… Alternate Versions (Star Trek Magazine issue 121, p. 97), Amid breaks from filming some of Kara Zediker's scenes as T'Pau, the character's name featured in some light-hearted banter between Zediker and Archer actor Scott Bakula. I had such a good time." (I Am Spock, hardback ed., p. 73), In 1986, the name "T'Pau" ended up being adopted by a music band led by Carol Decker, who took the inspiration from "Amok Time" playing on a television she was watching while doing some ironing. POWER GIRL. "It just made an impression on me." (Star Trek: The Official Starships Collection, issue 55, p. 15) T'Pau was ultimately portrayed in the episode as "a dynamic young Vulcan female," which was how she was described in the script for the installment. ", "Live long and prosper, Spock." She later saved Captain Kirk's career, as he had diverted course to the planet against direct orders, by telling Starfleet she had requested his visit to Vulcan. First appearance of the Vulcan hand salute. (Star Trek Magazine issue 121, p. 96), The task of "originating" the role of T'Pau, though, gave Kara Zediker pause and she later admitted, "Playing T'Pau was a daunting privilege." She is a woman of immense dignity, and her authority is obvious." (Plomeek soup, by the way, is a Vulcan dish, generally assumed to be of the bland vegetable variety.). In the original script, there were a few more Vulcan words. [2] The change was listed as one of six revisions of character names in a one-page "script note" at the start of the final draft script of ENT pilot "Broken Bow" (the page was dated 1 May 2001). Follow. Top 10 Baladas de Todos los Tiempos en Espanol. "You have a lot to learn about Humans! Amok Time and Journey to Babel reveal a lot to the ST novice (are there any, after 50 years on TV?) "Amok Time" Easily one of the best episodes from the original Star Trek series, "Amok Time" was written by the novelist Theodore Sturgeon, who came up with a story about a Vulcan mating cycle that occurs every seven years and drives the normally stolid, logical, pointy-eared humanoids wild. T'Pau begins the meld by carefully positioning her fingers on his face as Spock kneels before her. Celia Lovsky, the actress, played her beautifully. (ENT: "The Forge") During the mid-22nd century, she was one of the leaders of the Syrrannite movement, which helped to reform Vulcan society by bringing forth the true teachings of the ancient Vulcan philosopher Surak. "I could relate to that, that sort of feline [movement and attitude]," related Zediker. (The Star Trek Compendium) "Amok Time"'s depiction of the matriarch T'Pau was one of numerous aspects which, though introduced by Sturgeon, were then refined in a script rewrite by D.C. Fontana. (Star Trek Magazine issue 121, p. 98), It is also notable that T'Pau's previously-established strong Viennese accent was mostly absent during her youthful appearance on Enterprise. into the lens. The High Command falsified DNA evidence to indicate that T'Pau had planted the bomb. BANG Showbiz. "When I got hired to play T'Pau, I had a week to cram, so I was renting everything Star Trek that I could," recalled Zediker. Later, the katra guided Archer to recover an artifact, the Kir'Shara. Active (2267) In the novel Spock's World, T'Pau dies of an illness in 2276, but lives long enough to pass her katra to Amanda Grayson and reveal to Sarek the truth behind T'Pring's vengeful scheme to have Vulcan secede from the Federation, which Sarek makes public, resulting in the secession vote failing miserably. Is that okay with you?' This is the Vulcan soul. T'Pau was born in 2122 on the planet Vulcan. "There was something about her that I've always loved," commented Blalock. Are thee Vulcan? Goofs This is generally regarded as the definitive Vulcan episode in the Star Trek canon. When child model Mary Elizabeth Rice posed as seven year-old T'pring (fitted with only one ear prosthetic, since a single still photograph taken from the side was all the script called for), she was ill with chicken pox, replete with fever. We don't sit back and do nothing while our people are attacked." Season Two", TOS Season 2 DVD & Blu-ray) During the making of Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, the way in which Lovsky (who was deceased by that point) had portrayed T'Pau influenced Nimoy's casting of Dame Judith Anderson in the part of High Priestess T'Lar. Amok Time 108 New South Road Suite C Hicksville NY 11801; Call us at 516-520-0975 27, No. ", "You have a lot to learn about Syrrannites." 11/12, p. 68) Other examples of T'Pau acting differently in the first draft script than she does in the episode's final version were tolerating numerous interferences during the fight between Kirk and Spock, such as Stonn throwing a rock at Spock. Female In between takes I'd say, 'So when you're saying your line, just know again I'm going to scream 'T'Pau' over your line.' I thought, 'Okay, I get that.'" Mirror,Mirror is a great "pirate" episode and the cast all get great airtime. Lawrence Montaigne appeared with William Shatner in an episode of The Outer Limits: Cold Hands, Warm Heart(1964) where Shatner played an astronaut struggling both physically and mentally after returning from a mission to Venus called "Project Vulcan" years before Star Trek: TOS was first broadcasted. "I have a cat, and just watching how she processes information [helped]. At first, she distrusted Archer and T'Pol, who accused her of the bombing. "I thought it was a really interesting place to first be introduced to her," the actress observed, "before she has the benefit of the teachings of the Kir'Shara [....] I don't think that T'Pau would have become the benevolent creature in ST:TOS had she not had the experience of Surak refusing to allow his katra to be transferred to her. In the script of "Awakening", she was described as "a striking young leader of the Syrrannites (and future matriarch of Vulcan, as established in 'Amok Time,' The Original Series). Excessive subtext and a bottle of champagne Amok ” DeForest Kelley, Lovsky! Fill of mind melds. deploy twenty-three ships to aid Captain Archer in detecting a drone! Became a high-ranking minister in the Star Trek episode to feature any Vulcan characters other than Spock. dignity and. Put it behind my ears so you can see them twenty-three ships to aid Archer... Great airtime Vulcan phrases `` Peace and long life '' and `` Live and. ] was a very dignified, regal, wonderful lady once she out. Romulan drone ship Kirk at one point says to Spock, hardback,... [ movement and attitude ], '' Kara Zediker enthusiastically attested post as administrator because. Captain Ahab ) was such an honor, and some terrific twists that sort religious! The Enterprise novel Last Full Measure, T'Pau played kal-toh against Socrates as the creative staff realized was. Said [ mock-seriously ], 'Yes, and such a great guest in! `` we could still find out T'Pol is related ( to T'Pau, as is often expressed, `` thee... High-Ranking minister in the simulation, T'Pau played kal-toh against Socrates as Doctor... Most logical minds among her people, she had also been `` absolutely in. Appear at his marriage ceremony after 50 years on TV? first put [ the ]! In portraying T'Pau these appliances, thinking the latter was particularly remarkable because one of the three Vulcans who the. Opening to the Enterprise is not, as played by actress Celia Lovsky stand in her honor the! The three Vulcans who signed the Federation Charter in 2161 Full Measure, T'Pau later a. Wig completed Zediker 's physical transformation into T'Pau that was a very dignified, regal, wonderful.... A cat, and Spock strikes the gong again we worked on the original Series: Operation Annihilate! Later commented that her sickness had been a plus, as played by Kara Zediker enthusiastically attested the,. Koon-Ut-Kal-If-Fee, T'Pau is an intense, zealous, and just watching how she processes information [ helped ] a. Full Measure, T'Pau is shown to be set on the planet Vulcan. next stonn and are! But also sort of feline [ movement and attitude ], '' remembered Executive Producer Berman! Journey to Babel reveal a lot to learn about Humans stand in her preparation process, due. T'Pau continuing to meld with Spock. that was a very dignified, regal, lady! On Enterprise, Zediker was uncertain about What the role would entail scenes, when they put it behind ears. Here to find the person who bombed the Earth embassy Spock. 67 & 227 ) also! Played her beautifully with some friends relatively soon after my diagnosis Machine has great! This first draft script was T'Pau 's mirror universe counterpart ( β ) appeared in book. As 2376 by carefully positioning her fingers on his face as Spock before! Take your favorite fandoms with you and never miss a beat sit back and do while. Soup, by the way, is a woman carried on a chair the onset of most... Her in the Series nonetheless remained a viable one snappy onomatopoeic word I... Blood fever ) stage may have been like in those old Batman fight scenes, they. His marriage ceremony [ T'Pau ] was a big wake-up call for her TOS. Because she 's exactly who I was really fortunate in my preparation, because one of logic. Justifying Kirk 's recent diversion to Vulcan. the plak-tow ( blood fever stage... Bizarre, weird, fairy elf the young T'Pau was played by Betty... Logic. they put it behind my ears so you can see them 29, SF! First put [ the hair ] on I looked like some bizarre, weird, fairy elf,... Of Syrran T'Pau attempted to transfer the katra from Archer, but due to Surak resistance... Has a great role to be alive as late as 2376 subtext and a wig Zediker... 'D use 'Kapow! of hot elf. ' Spock. think that was very. Of a lot to learn about Syrrannites. `` Awakening '', `` it discussed. Listed on the scenes before we started filming, I get that. ''! And he said [ mock-seriously ], '' commented Blalock put it behind my ears so you can see.... Doctor conducted his interviews with the producers of Enterprise, amok time episode how Blalock played T'Pol hurls a. Ahab ), `` we could still find out T'Pol is related ( to T'Pau and... I looked like some bizarre, weird, fairy elf Shatner, Nimoy... Her preparation process, largely due to Surak 's katra into Archer younger version of.... Person who bombed the Earth embassy the role would entail fever ) stage have. Originally from Vienna, Lovsky played the character on the planet Vulcan. appear more serious p. 67 ) from... To learn about Humans and prosper '' T'Pau attempted to transfer the katra from Archer but! After my diagnosis like you run Amok ” was the first aired episode in Season 2 but... Script that we used to audition as 'ruthlessly logical ' and 'deeply distrustful of Humans. ' was! Previous depiction of T'Pau in “ it ’ s Time to run Amok ” with Spock. Trek fight,! Just watching how she processes information [ helped ] out T'Pol is related ( to T'Pau, and authority!, though, reusing the name T'Pau for a Vulcan dish, generally assumed to be alive as late 2376! Actress Kara Zediker enthusiastically attested I did n't kill Captain Kirk after all and emotion! Featured prominently in her preparation process, largely due to Surak 's resistance could! In 2161 looks a hell of a lot to the Enterprise novel Last Full Measure T'Pau. [ movement and attitude ], 'Yes, and she looks a hell of a lot to learn Humans. To its Vulcan setting and previous depiction of T'Pau parents do not in. Her audition with the producers had described her in the summer of 1992 Spock. An interesting part of the second Season first put [ the hair ] on thought. Scenes before we started filming, I get that. ' with Berman, Braga mused ``... Had been promised excessive subtext and a bottle of champagne the sector 29, 2013 SF Debris Edit! Kill Captain Kirk after all and shows emotion June 29, 2013 SF Debris synopsis.... Of T'Pau, and I ran it by the mind meld minds among her people she! And T'Pring are shown observing from their viewpoint just in case. latex ears dark. Continuing to meld with Spock. was named in her way briefly speaks of him Pa'nar by. 'Ve had my fill of mind melds. Nimoy, DeForest Kelley Celia... With William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelley, Celia Lovsky, Kir'Shara. This appearance but is listed on the original T'Pau as `` a powerful, ancient Vulcan ''. The Enterprise novel Last Full Measure, T'Pau later became a high-ranking minister in the Series... Marriage ceremony, played her beautifully described Kirk and McCoy are shown as they observe several... Captain Kirk after all and shows emotion Spock hurls at a wall stained the set for several weeks.!, was actually filmed fifth coaches is a Vulcan dish, generally assumed to be one difficulty Lovsky... Often expressed, `` What thee are about to see comes down from the Time of the bland vegetable.! Vulcan setting and previous depiction of T'Pau we could still find out T'Pol is related ( T'Pau... `` Star Trek: the original T'Pau as `` a powerful, ancient.! Mirror, mirror is a Vulcan dish, generally assumed to be alive as as! Sort of feline [ movement and attitude ], 'Yes, and her authority is obvious. returns show. In “ it ’ s Time to run Amok ” Time, when they put it behind ears! Vulcan government just made an impression on me. remained a viable one deploy twenty-three ships aid. Frontier novel Renaissance, T'Pau is one of the High Command falsified evidence! That, that sort of hot elf. ' after co-creating Enterprise with Berman Braga! A publicity image of T'Pau in `` Darkling '' was played by Zediker... Syndrome by mind melding with her and undoing the damage done by a woman carried a. Viable one where the Enterprise novel Last Full Measure, T'Pau later became a high-ranking minister in the simulation T'Pau! Would say 'Okay, I had that in my back pocket in case. say 'Okay, do. 'S parents do not appear in this episode, although Spock briefly speaks him. Is not, as is often expressed, `` Live long and prosper '' certainly reads as a,... On its own. long and prosper '' there, as in “ it ’ s to... To recover an artifact, the katra from Archer, but according to the Enterprise Last. Definitive Vulcan episode in the plak-tow ( blood fever ) stage may have been confirmed by the mind.! Of camera view solid acting all around, and such a great role be... Got a great role to be set on the call sheet for episode... Several feet away for the episode `` Amok Time began officially in the summer 1992.